I am a qualified nursing sister and certified diabetes educator. I see patients of all ages with Type 1, Type 2, Pre-Diabetes and Gestational Diabetes. I like to guide patients in the self-management of their diabetes and educating them on how better to control their condition. This includes education on the physiology of diabetes, blood glucose control and targets, the use of a blood glucose meter and the importance of testing and the role of medication in diabetes management.
Consultations are on a one-to-one basis with occasional group sessions. I also organize wellness days in the community, and complimentary diabetes education sessions for patients at local medical centres. I have been involved in diabetes education since 2006.
I currently run a Centre for Diabetes from rooms in Burger Street, Pietermaritzburg, and from rooms in Howick and The Atrium Lifestyle Centre in Gillitts providing the network support required for the patients who are members on the diabetes management programme. I also see patients who are not affiliated to a Diabetes management programme on a private individual consultation basis, providing on-going assistance and education to assist them with their self-management of their diabetes. I am also happy to see in-hospital patients for diabetes education and/or insulin initiations.
- Glamorgan University – Diploma in Diabetes Care (2011)
- Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology – Certificate in Diabetes Care for Health Professionals (2006)
- Lifescan Certificate in Self management of Diabetes Mellitus (2004)
- Primary Health Care Pharmacology (2003)
- Family Planning for Professional Nurses (1997)
- Diploma in Nursing & Midwifery (General, Psychiatric & Community) (1985-1990)